I’m not talking advertising. I’m just looking for ways to improve our visibility when searching (Google, Yahoo, etc). Page ranking even though important, is not the primary goal of this assignment.
Here is what I’ve learned so far (and what I need to change).
- Build a sitemap so your site gets completely indexed. Very important if your site has dynamic content (i.e., the URL contains a "?" character). Use standards to develop your sitemap. I suggest building two. One in XML for search engines and the other for the user in HTML. For more information on sitemap standards visit sitemaps.org.
I’ve built one for XML and already submitted it to Google’s Webmaster tools for the site. I still need to build one for the user.
- Make sure your keyword text is obvious and not burred on a subpage, inside a frame, part of an image, script, or Flash object. Be sure your key text is easy to read and understand.
I'm going to review all text to make sure this criteria is met. Need to avoid jargon and provide plain English descriptions, with the exception of the specifications page.
- Make sure your TITLE is clear and descriptive for each page.
I need to improve on this. One of my bad habits is titling each page the same with little description.
- Make sure your META DESCRIPTION is clear, descriptive and written in plain English for each page.
“Meta description information can give users a clear idea of your site's content and encourage users to click on your site in the search results pages.” – Google Webmaster ToolsSomething else I’ll need to improve on. I need simple text to describe each page. Another of the bad habits is to include the same meta description on every page.
- Learn what keywords your prospective clients are searching for.
I’m not sure how to go about this one. That’s next on to list to learn.
If you have any suggestions please feel free to post a comment.